Your heart is a muscle that demands the same attention as any other muscle in your body–take care of it, and it will take care of you. Kosciusko Community Hospital's cardiopulmonary rehabilitation program is dedicated to helping patients with a history of cardiac and pulmonary issues get the information, motivation, encouragement and guidance they need to help their hearts–and lifestyles–be healthier.
Our cardiac rehabilitation services are designed to help patients recover from heart-related events, including angina or heart failure, heart attack, coronary bypass surgery, balloon catheter procedure or coronary stenting and heart transplant. This program combines exercise and risk factor modification. During the sessions, you will learn how to manage the disease and control risk factors. Click here for referral form that may be presented to your physician.
Cardiac Rehabilitation benefits include:
- Increased strength and stamina
- Quitting smoking, which will decrease your chances of developing lung cancer, emphysema and bronchitis
- Stress management
- Enhanced mood
- Risk factor control, including one-on-one sessions with the registered dietitian to provide a diet plan that can help control cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes, and potentially lower body weight.
- Reduced hospitalizations
Our rehabilitation services are designed to help patients who suffer from chronic bronchitis, emphysema, asthma, bronchiectasis, sarcoidosis, pulmonary fibrosis and other debilitating lung diseases. This program combines exercise with disease management classes. Patients learn about disease progression and how to cope with physical limitations. As a result, pulmonary rehabilitation may prolong life, reduce disability and raise the level of physical and social functioning to the highest possible level. Click here for referral form that may be presented to your physician.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation benefits include:
- Control and alleviation of the symptoms and complications of pulmonary impairment
- Increased ability to carry out everyday activities
- Decreased anxiety and depression
- Improved quality of life
- Return to work
- Independence and self-reliance
- Increased exercise tolerance
- Participation in recreational pursuits
- Reduced exacerbations and hospitalizations
Your management of lung disease includes input from physicians, nurses, exercise physiologists and dietitians.
Family members and friends are welcome to attend education classes and participate in the learning process, as they can be invaluable during and after the recovery process.
You need your physician's approval to get started in this program.
Cardiopulmonary Phase III Rehabilitattion
Phase III cardiopulmonary rehabilitation is designed to provide continued social support and monitoring for patients who have successfully completed Phase II Rehabilitation after a heart intervention or diagnosis of chronic lung disease. This program is also offered to those who suffer from dyspnea, fatigue, exercise intolerance, or coronary artery disease (without intervention). All participants who have not participated in Phase II rehabilitation will need a physician's clearance to begin. The KCH Cardiopulmonary team would gladly assist in obtaining this referral.