KCH Cardiac Rehabilitation Services are designed to help patients recover from heart-related events, including angina or heart failure, heart attack, coronary bypass surgery, balloon catheter procedure or coronary stenting and heart transplant. This program combines exercise and risk factor modification. During the sessions, you will learn how to manage the disease and control risk factors. Possible risk factors for heart disease include smoking, inactive lifestyle, poor diet, excess body weight, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and depression.
Cardiac Rehabilitation can change your life by:
- Increasing strength and stamina. This allows you to perform activities of daily living with more ease. Exercise helps restore independence and gets you back to work and recreational activities quickly
- Becoming a non-smoker. Smoking drastically increases premature death and your chances of additional heart problems. Kicking the habit also decreases your chance of developing lung cancer, emphysema and bronchitis
- Managing stress. You will feel better and improve your heart health. Education classes can teach you heart-healthy habits that can be practiced for the rest of your life
- Enhancing mood
- Controlling risk factors. One-on-one sessions with the Registered Dietitian provide you with a diet plan that can help control cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes. A healthy diet can also lower body weight
- Reducing hospitalizations
Family members and friends are invaluable during the recovery process and provide much support afterwards. They are welcome to attend education classes and participate in the learning process. Cardiac Rehabilitation often begins in the hospital after a heart attack, heart surgery or other heart treatment. It continues in an outpatient setting, the KCH Health & Wellness Center, after you leave the hospital. You need your physician's approval to get started in this program. For more information about the KCH Cardiac Rehabilitation program call 574-372-7890.
KCH Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services are designed to help patients who suffer from chronic bronchitis, emphysema, asthma, bronchiectasis, sarcoidosis, pulmonary fibrosis and other debilitating lung diseases. This 10-week program combines exercise with disease management classes. Patients learn about disease progression and how to cope with physical limitations. As a result, Pulmonary Rehabilitation may prolong life, reduce disability and raise the level of physical and social functioning to the highest possible level.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation can change your life by:
- Controlling and alleviating the symptoms and complications of pulmonary impairment
- Increasing ability to carry out everyday activities
- Decreasing anxiety and depression
- Improving quality of life
- Facilitating return to work
- Promoting independence and self-reliance
- Increasing exercise tolerance
- Encouraging participation in recreational pursuits
- Reducing exacerbations and hospitalizations
Your management of lung disease includes a multidisciplinary approach from physicians, nurses, exercise physiologists and dietitians. Family members and friends are invaluable during the recovery process and provide much support afterwards. They are welcome to attend education classes and participate in the learning process. You need your physician's approval to get started in Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Call 574-372-7890 for information.